Planning Application

Currently there are planning applications supporting the development. These can be seen on the Sevenoaks Council website. Hybrid application comprising, in outline: development of business space (use classes B1a/b/c) of up to 27,659 sq m GEA; works within the X enclave relating to energetic testing operations, including fencing, access, car parking; development of up to

The Road of No Return, 1961

This 17:40 minute long film from the Fort Halstead archive dates from 1961 and was filmed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment in association with the Ministry of Aviation Cine Film Service. It has recently been digitised by the Imperial War Museum and is available on their website. It has been reproduced here under

The Bugle, Issue 1

Welcome to The Bugle, the new journal of the Fort Halstead Heritage Centre. It is intended to promote historical activities at The Fort and in particular, interesting artefacts in the Collection.

Images from the Fort (1989)

In 1989 a report was published aimed at “drawing together at the current time, information regarding the physical plan, form and history of the ancient monument known as Fort Halstead.” These rare images detail some of the historical features still remaining in the old mobilisation centre almost 100 years after its construction. At the time,

Dr WG Penney Commemorative Plaque

“In this building a group of scientists & engineers led by the then Dr WG PENNEY worked on United Kingdom atomic warheads during the period 1946 to 1952. This plaque was unveiled on 6 APRIL 2982 by LORD PENNEY OM. KBE. MA. PhD. D Sc. FRS.”

The Origins of Fort Halstead

This history forms part of a larger RARDE history written by the late Peter Baigent around 1991. Peter had a long and distinguished career in weapons design at Fort Halstead. We are very grateful to his family for giving permission to publish Peter’s research. Fort Halstead originates from a scheme drawn up in 1888 by